To view a list on Plant Ecology publications please click on the link provided below and type the researcher last name along with a * in the search field (e.g. "menges*", without the quotes).
click here to search
Recent Publications from the Plant Ecology Lab
- Included here are peer-reviewed publications from 2006 onward (last updated June 2009). For other publications, please consult STABIB and enter as authors Menges or Weekley.
- Hutchinson, J.T. and E.S. Menges. 2006. Evaluation of the invasiveness of non-native plants at the Archbold Biological Station. Florida Scientist 69:62-68.
- Menges, E.S., P.F. Quintana-Ascencio, C.W. Weekley, and O.G. Gaoue.2006. Population viability analysis and fire return intervals for an endemic Florida scrub mint. Biological Conservation 127:115-127. Maschinski, J., J. E. Baggs, P. Quintana-Ascencio, and E.S. Menges. 2006. Using population viability analysis to predict the effects of climate change on the extinction risk of an endangered limestone endemic shrub, Arizona cliffrose. Conservation Biology 20:218-228.
- Boyce, M.S., C. V. Haridas, C. Lee, C. L. Boggs, E. M. Bruna, T. Coulson, D. Doak, J. M. Drake, J.M. Gaillard, C.C. Horvitz, S. Kalisz, B.E. Kendall, T. Knight, E.S. Menges, W.F. Morris, C.A. Pfister, and S. D. Tuljapurkar. 2006. Demography in an increasingly variable world. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:141-148.
- Wally, A., E.S. Menges, and C.W. Weekley. 2006. Comparison of three devices for estimating fire temperatures in ecological studies. Applied Vegetation Science9:97-108.
- Boughton, E.A., P.F. Quintana-Ascencio, E.S. Menges, and R.K. Boughton. 2006. Association of ecotones with relative elevation and fire in an upland Florida landscape. Journal of Vegetation Science 17:361-368.
- Morris, W.F., S. Tuljapurkar, C. Haridas, E.S. Menges, C. Horvitz, and C. Pfister. 2006. Sensitivity of the population growth rate to demographic variability within and between phases of the disturbance cycle. Ecology Letters 9:1331-1341.
- Menges, E.S., C. W. Weekley, S. I. Hamzé, and R. L. Pickert. 2007. Soil preferences for listed plants on the Lake Wales Ridge in Highlands County, Florida. Florida Scientist 70:24-39.
- Quintana-Ascencio, P.F., C.W. Weekley, and E.S. Menges. 2007. Comparativedemography of a rare species in Florida scrub and road habitats. Biological Conservation 137:263-270.
- Menges, E.S. 2007. Integrating demography and fire management: an example from Florida scrub..Australian Journal of Botany 55:261-272.
- Calabrese, L.B. and E.S. Menges. 2007. Do allelopathic properties of Calamintha ashei affect other Florida scrub plants? A comparison of intact vs. disturbed scrub. Florida Scientist 70: 189-201.
- Ellis, M.M., C.W. Weekley, and E.S. Menges.2007. Evaluating stability in Ziziphus celata, a highly endangered clonal shrub endemic to the Lake Wales Ridge, central Florida. Endangered Species Research 3:125-132.
- Weekley, C.W., E.S. Menges, and P.F. Quintana-Ascencio. 2007. Seedling recruitment and survival of Warea carteri (Brassicaceae), an endangered annual herb of the Florida scrub. Canadian Journal of Botany 85:621-628.
- Weekley, C.W., D. Gagnon, D., E.S. Menges, P.F. Quintana-Ascencio, and S. Saha. 2007. Variation in soil moisture in Florida scrub..EcoScience 14:377-386.
- Menges, E.S. and S. Kennedy. 2007. A successful introduction of the rare endemic Dicerandra thinicola to a protected site (Florida). Ecological Restoration 25:222-223.
- Rickey, M.A., E.S. Menges, and C.W. Weekley. 2007. Effects of mechanical treatments and fire on litter reduction in Florida scrub and sandhill. Proceedings of the 23rd Tall Timbers Fire Ecology Conference: 104-108.
- Evans, M.E.K., K. Holsinger, and E.S. Menges. 2008. Modeling the effect of fire on Dicerandra frutescens spp. frutescens (Lamiaceae), an endangered plant endemic to Florida scrub. Population Ecology 50:53-62.
- Menges, E.S. and P.L. Marks. 2008. Fire and flood: Why are south-central Florida seasonal ponds treeless? American Midland Naturalist 159:8-20.
- Morris, W.F., C. A. Pfister, S. Tuljapurkar, C. V. Haridas, C. Boggs, M. Boyce, E. M. Bruna, D. R. Church, T. Coulson, D. F. Doak, S. Forsyth, J.-M. Gaillard, C. C. Horvitz, S. Kalisz, B. E. Kendall, T. M. Knight, C. T. Lee, and E.S. Menges. 2008. Longevity can buffer plant and animal populations against changing climatic variability. Ecology 89:19-25.
- Weekley, C.W., Menges, E.S. and Pickert, R.L. 2008. An ecological map of Florida’s Lake Wales Ridge: A new boundary delineation and an assessment of post-Columbian habitat loss. Florida Scientist 71: 45-64.
- Menges, E.S., A. Wally, J. Salo, R. Zinthefer, and C.W. Weekley. 2008. Gap ecology in Florida scrub: species occurrence, diversity, and gap properties. Journal of Vegetation Science 19:503-514.
- Menges, E.S. 2008. Demography of the endemic mint Dicerandra frutescens in Florida scrub. Ecology 89:1474 (Data Paper; Ecological Archives E089-088). html link
- Tweel, A.W. and E.S. Menges. 2008. Variation in tannin activity and leaf toughness of three xeromorphic oaks in Florida scrub. Florida Scientist 71:188-197.
- Menges, E.S. 2008. Restoration demography and genetics of plants: When is a translocation successful? Australian Journal of Botany 56: 187-196.
- Lindon, H.L. and E.S. Menges. 2008. Effects of smoke on seed germination of twenty species of fire-prone habitats in Florida. Castanea 73:106-110.
- Hewitt, R.E. and E.S. Menges. 2008. Allelopathic effects of Ceratiola ericoides (Empetraceae) on germination and survival of six Florida scrub species. Plant Ecology 198:47-59.
- Dolan, R.W., P.F. Quintana-Ascencio, and E.S. Menges. 2008. Genetic change following fire in populations of a seed-banking perennial plant. Oecologia 158:355-360.
- Weekley, C.W., J. Tucker, S. Valligny, and E.S. Menges. 2008. Germination ecology of Liatris ohlingerae (S.F. Blake) B.L. Rob. (Asteraceae), an endangered herb endemic to Florida scrub. Castanea 73:235-250
- Stephens, E.L., S. Saha, and E.S. Menges. 2009. Intracanopy variation in leaf morphology and physiology in dominant shrubs of Florida’s xeric uplands. Botany 87: 112-125. Saha, S., T.M. Strazisar, E.S. Menges, P.Ellsworth, and L. Sternberg. 2009. Linking the patterns in soil moisture to leaf water potential, stomatal conductance, growth, and mortality of dominant shrubs in the Florida scrub ecosystem. Plant and Soil 313:113-127.